Draw a page for
the 100th Issue of
The Darkness comic!
In the new game, "The Darkness II" by 2k Games, it's been two years since Jackie Estacado took his revenge on those who killed his girlfriend and became the Don of a New York crime family. A strange and terrible power called The Darkness has remained locked tightly inside him, but now it's ready to come out once again.
Let your own inner demons out to play and join Jackie in his brutal internal battle against The Darkness by drawing a
three-panel comic using the script created by Top Cow writers.
Become a pro by winning and have your three-panel comic published in the 100th issue of The Darkness comic.Read Official Rules »
Download the template for the 3-panel comic page. Download Template
You must use the supplied storyboard for the 3 panels you are being asked to produce. Use Storyboard
Once you're done, submit the completed template as a .JPG or .PNG file!Submit
Jackie Estacado is a man torn by the curse of the Darkness attempting to consume him completely. He's the Don of a New York crime family by day, but by night he wields an ancient supernatural power of chaos and destruction. A new story has been created about Jackie's twisted journey, and we want to see how our artists envision it!
Wide interior of an abandoned subway stop under New York City. The entire landing area is flooded with overhead lights, burning even stronger than they would normally and destroying any trace of shadow, it's as if someone has sent a surge through the circuit. In the foreground we see Jackie Estacado, bearer of the Darkness, crouched behind a support pillar holding his signature twin-pistols. He's angry, but calm. The reason why is because there's a small army of the Brotherhood opening fire on Jackie with automatic rifles.
1 BROTHERHOOD LEADER:
You're screwed, Estacado! Always leaping before looking, aren't you?
Yeah, I've never had much patience for sitting back and planning. Much more of a get my hands dirty kind of guy.
3 BROTHERHOOD LEADER:
It's going to cost you this time. The Darkness won't help you here!
Pull back into the subway tunnel just past the subway station to show Jackie's darkling just about to rip out a ton of electrical wiring out of a big switchbox on the wall. The darkling is, of course, hidden in nearly complete darkness and we can see the battle continue in the background. Jackie dives from one pillar to another for more cover.
Not much for planning, but I've spent enough time down in the subway to know the lay of the land.
Funny thing about the Darkness, there's always some of it. Even the brightest light casts a shadow.
The darkling finishes what it started and all of the lights go completely out. In the center of this frame we get our epic hero shot as Jackie unleashes the pent up power of the Darkness. The two Demon Arms surge forward and tear apart Brotherhood members before they can even think about moving. Jackie doesn't miss a beat and unloads relentless vengeance with his pistols on other members. Maybe we even see the darkling riding one of the Brotherhood guys like a demented, demonic jockey.
- The Darkness II video game
- Signed 100th Issue of
The Darkness Comic
- $1,000.00 Cash Prize (USD)
- 10,000 dA Points
- dA PRO Digital Artist Backpack
- 1-year Premium membership
- $750.00 Cash Prize (USD)
- 5,000 dA Points
- deviantWEAR Tee of their choice*
- 6-Month Premium Membership
- $500.00 Cash Prize (USD)
- 2,500 dA Points
- deviantWEAR Tee of their choice*
- 3-Month Premium Membership
Entry must be received by 11:59:59PM (PT) on January 1, 2012 and be submitted through the contest gallery on deviantART.
- Entrant must be at least 18 years old;
- Entries must be in traditional or digital art mediums only;
- Entries must use the comic storyboard to illustrate within the provided Template;
- Entries must be submitted in the following dimension full-bleed size of 6.875 inches x 10.437 inches (with a safe zone of 6.625 inches x 10.187 inches and live area of 6.125 inches x 9.687 inches);
- Entries may use the comic book example as a direct reference for how to present the characters and their environment;
- Entries may not use any watermarks or distinguishing artist marks (such as any signatures or symbols representing the artist);
- You may submit more than one entry;
- You must be a member of deviantART to enter. Membership is free; and
- Other requirements and restrictions apply, please read the Official Rules carefully.
25 Semi-Finalists will be selected by full-time deviantART Staff.
From the Semi-Finalists, the final three winners will be selected by Marc Silvestri, the CEO and Founder of Top Cow Productions, Inc.!
All entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Suitable for The Darkness Comic
- Success in Presenting the Storyboard
- Overall Impact of the Work
- Technical Skill